Super crunchy and healthy sweet potato chips that are not fried, rather made in your microwave! No frying needed and only 5 minutes away from a homemade snack!
How do I even begin to profess my love for these little bites?
I don’t know if I love the crunchiness the most, the sweet potatoes, the sweet and savory greek yogurt dip or that it only takes 5 minutes to make. In the microwave, I might add!
Are you one of those sweet potato fanatics, hoarding sweet potatoes in every nook and cranny of your house or asking for two orders at every restaurant that serves sweet potato chips? I have a tendency to be on both sides of that one. I buy an obscene amount at the store, and hold onto them for the right opportunity to arise; hoping for a recipe creation epiphany.
Let’s just say one of those epiphanies arose. And the sweet potato stash was in my favor. Thank you to Rachel, from Rachel Cooks, for my latest obsession. I have loved sweet potato chips for quite some time, but baking in the oven usually leaves us with overly burnt chips or less than appetizing, limp chips. Neither are favored, so when I saw that you could make healthy sweet potato chips in the microwave, in 5 minutes, I was game!
I set out with just a few ingredients, sweet potatoes, seasonings and my mandoline, which is completely a life savor (and finger tip savor) here. Slice the sweet potatoes on the thinnest blade possible – 1/16th. Then toss in a bit of olive oil and seasonings, lay on a parchment lined plate and place in the microwave. After a short cook, I flip the chips and separate them as they have a tendency to slide down the plate, and together as they cook. After a few more minutes, the chips will be little disks of pure bliss.
Perfectly browned and 100% crispy. Not complaining about that one bit!
And as if the chips weren’t heaven enough, greek yogurt, blue cheese and honey get together for a tangy, creamy and slightly sweet dip that is almost as glorious as the chips themselves. This dip comes together in mere seconds, and holds together in the fridge for days. It’s great to have on hand for those sudden, chip cravings!
Let the hoarding continue, as there is buckets full of healthy sweet potatoes chips in my future!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Slice potatoes with a mandolin, on thinest blade possible. I used 1/16th.
- In a large bowl, toss sliced potatoes with olive oil and seasonings. Place on a parchment lined plate.
- Place in microwave, evenly. Making sure not to overlap potatoes as they will cook together and prolong cooking time.
- Microwave for 3 minutes. Then flip and rearrange potatoes, as they will shift during cooking. Separate if needed. Cook for another minute, then rearrange again. Cook for 30 additional, if needed. They will be crispy and slightly brown when done.
- Meanwhile, while potatoes cook, mix together the greek yogurt, blue cheese and honey. Stir to combine and serve with potatoes.
*Recipe from Rachel Cooks
Craving more healthy snacks?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0