This Sparkling Lemon Drop Martini is much more than a shake and a stir! Fresh lemon juice, vodka and topped with sparkling water make this drink tart, sweet and easy to drink!
Originally Posted 2014 – Pictures and Post updated May 2016
I can remember my first sip on my 21st birthday as if it was yesterday.
To your surprise, I was not adorning a crown in a crowded bar with my girlfriends carrying a shot book. That was the next week…rather the evening before my 21st birthday I was with my family, the current boyfriend and a few of my parents best friends enjoying a gourmet dinner and drinks. After all, I had a plane to catch to Vegas early the next morning!
Whereas the typical drink of choice to celebrate no longer needing a fake idea may be a shot or beer, I followed in my mothers footsteps of loving Lemon Drop martinis. The tart, slightly sweet beverage goes down far too smooth.
For as long as I can remember, my Dad has been shaking up my Mom fresh lemon drop martinis. He has taught me a thing or two on how to make thee perfect lemon drop.
Let’s quickly go over them:
1) Use fresh lemon juice. This is a must. Fresh is in a whole different playing field than the bottled lemon juice that tastes slightly metallic. It takes a few extra minutes but the flavor comparison can’t be beat.
2) Only use a pinch of sugar. Lemon drops are known for their sweet and sour complexity. Rather than a sweet tart, make you pucker martini. I choose to use stevia, but if you want, you can use regular sugar. Just add a tiny spoonful or to taste. This is the perfect example of where less is more!
3) Use good vodka! Your taste buds and your lack of hangover the next day will thank you! Smooth vodka will make for a smooth martini!
4) Shake, shake, shake. With ice that is. No one cares for a warm martini. My Dad says to shake 40 times to be exact. At that point the ice starts to break down and the ice shards float in your drink making for a ice cold martini with large pieces of ice in your way. No one wants that.
5) Bonus. A sugar rim. To make your drink extra special, line the rim with a lemon wedge and dip in sugar. You could forgo this step, but I highly suggest it. Actually, require it.
With 5 simple steps, this Sparkling Lemon Drop martini promises you a great night.
But, it’s not responsible for actions that may result from consuming one too many.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- Rim the top of a martini glass with the lemon wedge. And dip into sugar to coat. Set aside.
- In a shaker, add the lemon vodka, lemon juice, sugar/stevia if using and a handful of ice. Shake for 15 seconds. Strain into martini glass, leaving the ice in the shaker. Top with sparkling water.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more happy hour drinks?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0