Wonton Sweet and Sour Cream Cheese Dip is a simple appetizer that you can prepare either hot or chilled! Crispy wontons dipped into a sweet and sour cream cheese dip!
Confession: part of my favorite reason to go out for Chinese is to grab a handful of fortune cookies…partially for the humorous fortunes. Partially for those (hopefully not stale) fortune cookies.
But, there is also this part of me that hopes the hubs orders some cream cheese wontons. But not for the creamy, crab filled filling but for the crunchy ‘tails’ of the wontons that I dunk and slather in the sweet and sour dip that accompanies these little gems.
As he eye rolls at me for taking all the crunchy bites, I am secretly happy. As the motto goes…’what is yours, is mine. And what is mine is mine.’ Isn’t that right?
Let’s just roll with it.
This dip was inspired by those sneaky bites. But the best part is, you can control how much crunchy and how much gooey cream cheese and how much sauce you devour. Winning combination!
This dip couldn’t be any easier. And it can be served two ways – warm or chilled!
It starts with a base of cream cheese. Use fat free, light or full fat – whatever suits your fancy! If you are serving this chilled (or room temperature), simply spread softened cream cheese onto a serving dish in a thin layer. If you are serving it warmed, no need to bring the cream cheese to room temp, just spread into an oven safe baking dish.
Next, my favorite layer. The sweet and sour sauce! I used my oh so simple, pineapple sweet and sour sauce from these baked coconut shrimp. I love the addition of pineapple to the sauce, as it adds an unexpected sweetness but not a flavor many people can land their finger on. Chef secret! But if you have a favorite recipe or are short on time, feel free to use a bottled sweet and sours sauce! Can you say time saver?
Oh ya, those are the only two layers! So you are done with that part. Easy, amiright?
And we can’t forget those crunchy dippers. One ingredient dippers. Take square wonton wrappers, fold in half and place in a heated oven to crisp up. After 10 minutes, little golden crunchy gems arise. They are great to make ahead of time as they stay crunchy for daysssss. Another reason this dip needs to be on your Labor Day menu or appear at your football tailgate this fall.
Wonton Pineapple Sweet and Sour Cream Cheese Dip is a simple appetizer that you can prepare either hot or chilled! Crispy wontons dipped into a sweet and sour cream cheese dip!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 package rectangular wonton wrappers
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet n Sour Sauce
- OR Homemade Sauce:
- 10 ounces apricot jam (sugar free, if desired)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- Sliced green onions
- Wontons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, place the wonton wrappers. Fold in half, diagonally to create a triangle. Place in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Sauce: In a small mixing bowl, combine the apricot jam, crushed pineapple, red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar. Mix well.
- If preparing the chilled version: On a serving dish, place the softened cream cheese. Top with the apricot sauce.
- If preparing the heated version: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small oven safe baking dish, spread the cream cheese out. Top with apricot sauce. Place in preheated oven and bake for 10 -15 minutes or until heated through.
- When ready to serve, garnish with slice green onions and serve with wonton chips.
Hungry for more appetizers?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!3