All the flavors of a pizza – parmesan, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes – mixed with quinoa and tossed in a cheesy cream sauce for a simple and healthy white pizza makeover!
Apparently I am all about trying to consume as much pizza as possible.
Minus the whole rolling out the dough and layering on the toppings thing.
Around our house, we save dinners such as pizza and tapas, for the weekends. Not sure why, but my mind likes to think they are more ‘fun’ or ‘date night’ type dinners where a glass (or bottle) of wine would compliment dinner perfectly. And not to mention, I try to gear our weeknight dinners towards veggie and nutrient dense meals to balance out the weekends.
So say hello to balance.
Pizza + quinoa + veggies = perfect trinity in my book. And how else should we kick off another Monday than with pizza?
Nutty quinoa is cooked and fluffed. It the perfect base due to its complex flavors, yet not overpowering the other ingredients. Then a creamy and light parmesan cream sauce is made, but not any cream sauce. It is the same recipe I have used before, as in this pasta. Almond milk and cottage cheese are blended together and poured over a roux and allowed to simmer and thicken. Then salty parmesan is tossed in to create one gooey cheese sauce that is poured over the quinoa. Plump and juicy cherry tomatoes are gently mixed in and lastly, marinated mozzarella is added to provide extra cheesiness. Plus mozzarella melts wonderfully so with each bite, you will be in pure pizza, cheesy heaven.
Let’s show Monday who is boss. Enjoy some gooey, double cheese white pizza!
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, substituting water for vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch (or flour)
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup marinated mozzarella, chopped small
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Chopped parsley or basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions, substituting the water for vegetable broth. When quinoa is finished cooking, remove from heat, fluff with a fork and add Italian Seasoning and salt. Stir. Cover quinoa and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add butter and melt. Add flour and whisk until well combined. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the roux gets a slight blonde color to it and smells nutty.
- In a blender, puree milk and cottage cheese until well blended and smooth.
- Add milk mixture to skillet and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Slowly whisk in ½ cup parmesan cheese and whisk until cheese is fully melted. Remove from heat. Add tomatoes, quinoa and cherry tomatoes. Fold in marinated mozzarella. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining ½ cup parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes then serve.
Craving more quinoa?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!