Enchilada Chicken Meatball Sub Sandwiches madeover with lean, ground chicken, enchilada sauce, multigrain rolls and dipped into a skinny queso dip! And they are cooked in the slow cooker to make dinner a breeze!
I feel like my house has turned into a bar. Filled with greasy, ‘Let’s Indulge’ bar food.
But we aren’t complaining. I mean with 5 minute, secretly healthy sweet potato chips, greek yogurt spiked queso and now meatball sub sandwiches, I should need an open and closed sign for my front door. On second thought, that may wear out its welcome with the revolving door of friends and family stopping by.
I should rethink that one.
Despite all the butternut squash, apples and soups on my mind, football foods are just as important to me as the holidays. When else do you get to spice up Sunday’s (can’t forget Thursday and Monday nights as well!), drink a few adult beverages and cheer on your favorite sports team?
I am not ashamed to admit I thoroughly enjoy sporting events for the sheer aspect of creating a new dish, socializing and the relaxation factor. The excitement that fills the air, similar to the feeling that is brought on Friday’s at 5pm. Nothing can duplicate those emotions.
When I start to brainstorm foods to devour while watching our favorite team, I immediately think of bar food. The All American food, but hold the grease please.
I have been on a meatball kick lately so when Mr. HIT mentioned a coworker made slow cooker meatball subs, my ears perked up and the wheels started turnin. I narrowed down my endless list of possibilities and the results were spectacular. I would say just as exciting as watching our Chiefs dominate the past few weeks!
Lean ground chicken is mixed with the typical suspects for enchiladas – taco seasonings and salsa – then mixed with panko to bind and set into the slow cooker. Come back a couple hours later to perfectly cooked meatballs that are ready to be doused in your favorite enchilada sauce, sandwiched between a multigrain roll and did I mention, dipped in a skinny queso dip?
Didn’t think I need to convince you much more.
Bar food just got an upgrade!
- In a mixing bowl, add the ground chicken, egg, panko, salsa, taco seasoning and salt. Mix well. Roll into 16 balls.
- Place in greased slow cooker. Cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- When ready to assemble, place enchilada sauce in a pot and warm up. When warm, add meatballs to coat.
- When ready to serve, warm cheese sauce in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or heat over the stove, over low heat, stirring every so often.
- To assemble sandwiches, cut baguette into 4 even pieces, then cut a horizontal slit in each, leaving a small 'hinge' still attached. Dig out some of the bread from the inside of each piece, making somewhat of a 'hole' for the meatballs to sit in. (This will make it much easier to eat!)
- Add 2-3 meatballs to each piece of bread, top with cilantro and serve with cheese sauce for dipping.
Craving more Mexican dishes?0