A delicious and flavorful quinoa salad made of caramelized butternut squash, creamy goat cheese, roasted grapes and basil! Make ahead and store in the fridge until ready to serve!
How much more can I completely adore all things fall?
Never taking off my Ugg slippers, living in oversized sweaters, Saturday mornings of coffee and baileys and adorning far too many scarves. Just add a scarf to any outfit and it’s instantly public worthy.
My husband tries to act surprised when I come out ready for date night, flaunted my latest addition to my scarf collection. I mean, it was on sale at Target. We all know how that goes….vortex that grabs ahold of you and spits you out with seventeen things that are not needed.
For my second edition of fall inspired quinoa recipes, not only do we have caramelized butternut squash (hello lover!), but there is roasted grapes. May sound strange, but you need to get on the roasted grapes train. As they roast, the natural sweetness only heightens. Which pairs perfect with the butternut squash and the creaminess of the goat cheese.
This butternut squash quinoa salad dish is the epitome of what every fall dish should be! The nutty quinoa mixed with the caramelized butternut squash and roasted grapes screams everything Thanksgiving, as it can be made ahead of time then reheated before serving.
Now that is one dish to be celebrated!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups red grapes
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- Handful thinly sliced basil
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F.
- On a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet, add butternut squash evenly so they are not overlapping and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Place into oven and roast for 35 – 40 minutes, or until soft and edges are brown. Toss around every 10 minutes.
- When butternut squash has 10 minutes remaining, place grapes onto a small baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes, or until grapes start to burst and wilt. Remove from oven and set aside until ready to assemble salad.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package instructions, except substituting chicken broth of water. (If your quinoa recipe calls more than a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa, please follow those proportions.) Once quinoa is done cooking, set aside.
- To assemble salad, in a large bowl, add quinoa, caramelized butternut squash, roasted grapes, goat cheese and basil. Mix well and serve at room temperature or warm.
Hungry for more healthy side dishes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!