If you have ever wondered how to make your own cold brew, then you’ve come to the right place! This Perfect Homemade Iced Coffee is a simple, cold brew coffee with only 2 ingredients!
homemade cold brew
After spending my monthly paycheck at Starbucks on my morning pick me up’s, I decided it was time to experiment in the kitchen. After all, I did spend two wonderful years in college as a barista and attempting to make the ‘entirely too long coffee concoctions’. After moving on from Starbucks, I realized I no longer had the luxury of free beverages and that was the start of my expensive addiction.
Then it hit me. Hello, homemade cold brew is so simple! It is much more than pouring hot coffee over ice. Please, please, please do not go that route. It dilutes the pure, coffee flavor and also gives you luke warm iced coffee. Ew.
The process of soaking coffee beans overnight, rather than brewing coffee and chilling has many other benefits. It reduces the acidity by up to 70%; so if you think coffee is too bitter or if it bothers your stomach, then homemade cold brew is for you! It also enhances the flavor of the coffee beans; so your caramel drizzle will taste more like caramel than just a regular cup of joe!
ingredients for homemade cold brew
- 6 oz coarse ground coffee beans
- 6 cups cold water
- For Serving, Milk, Homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream or Sweetener of choice
how to make your own cold brew
It is so simple and might make you wonder why you haven’t been making your own cold brew all along!
- In a large container, combine coffee beans and water. Make sure all the coffee beans are covered and saturated. See the above picture.
- Cover and allow to sit overnight, 24 hours is ideal. You can store it in the fridge or room temperature if you wish.
- Set a fine-mesh strainer, and/or line with cheesecloth (this will catch more of the coffee grounds), over a pitcher or another container.
- Slowly pour coffee mixture through strainer, allowing all the liquid to seep through. You may need to help push the liquid through the strainer. Pour the mixture through the strainer one to two more times to ensure all the grounds have been caught. (This is where a cheesecloth comes in handy.) Discard grounds after filtering.
- Place coffee in the fridge, in a sealed container and allow to chill until ready to use.
- To make an iced coffee, add ice cubes to a glass. Add a 1:1 ratio of coffee to water and mix well.
- Add sweetener and milk to taste, stir well. Taste and adjust milk and sweetener if needed.
- Sit back and enjoy!
how to store cold brew
After draining your cold brew, add to a sealed container and store it in the fridge until ready to consume.
how long does cold brew coffee last?
Your homemade cold brew concentrate will last for 1 to 2 weeks in the fridge. But the flavor will dilute after the first week so I would suggest consuming in the first week for the best flavor.
How to personalize your homemade cold brew
Use flavored beans, or add vanilla extract, cinnamon, cocoa powder or vanilla powder to the steeping process to put a personal touch on it!
more healthy coffee drinks