This Homemade Pretzel Bread Recipe is fool proof! It has a salty and crispy crust and is tender on the inside, making it the perfect bread for sandwiches or for dunking into your favorite cheese sauce!
about this Homemade Pretzel Bread Recipe
This homemade pretzel bread recipe is quite simple to make with its few ingredients! It has all the flavor of traditional pretzels but made into a loaf form. There is a longer rise time to contribute to a fluffier pretzel, making it ideal to slather butter on or stuff with your favorite lunch meat for one killer sandwich!
Serve this pretzel bread recipe for your next game day with a side of warm cheese to dunk in or make into mini loaves and serve along the side a bowl of chili. The possibilities are endless!
ingredients you’ll need for this pretzel bread
- Coconut Sugar
- Quick Rising Yeast
- Al Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
how to make pretzel bread
- Heat: In a saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk and butter until warm, between 120° to 130°F; the butter will not be melted completely.
- Mix: In the bowl of a mixer or a large mixing bowl, add the milk mixture, undissolved yeast, and sugar to the milk mixture and stir.
- Stir in salt and 2 cups flour, beat for 3 minutes. Slowly add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead: Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Rise: Place in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil: In a large saucepan, combine the water and baking soda. Bring to a boil.
- Form: Punch the dough down and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Form each piece into a tight, smooth ball. Add the dough to the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes, turning over after 1 minute. Remove from water and place on a greased sheet pan. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cook: Brush with egg and cut a shallow cross in the top with a knife. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350?F and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the loaves are evenly browned. (After a few trials, we prefer the 10 minutes to the 11 or 12 minutes.) Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
about the baking soda bath
The baking soda bath is what gives pretzels their well-known flavor, the crispy crust, and soft, fluffy interior. This bath is super quick so please don’t skip this step!
what to serve with this pretzel bread recipe
- Sriracha Bacon Beer Cheese Dip
- Greek Yogurt Spicy Corn Dip
- as the base for a killer ham + cheese sandwich
- with slow cooker spicy chili
- or just on its own slathered with butter!
how to store this pretzel bread recipe
Store in an airtight container for 3 days. They will harden a touch but you can microwave to warm thru, if desired.
more healthy bread recipes: