Paleo Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes require only 5 ingredients making these sweet and slightly spicy potatoes a healthy, make ahead dinner and lunch option!
Looking for more few ingredient recipes? 5 Ingredient Baked Spinach and Mozzarella Ravioli Florentine, 3 Ingredient Mexican Lime Chicken or my Greek Yogurt Queso.
about this Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe
I am not going to lie…stuffed sweet potato and taco’s don’t really appear to be a match made in heaven. BUT, let me tell you, with one bite we were obsessed! Rather shocked the flavors of the caramelized sweet potatoes and the slightly spicy taco turkey meat play so well together. So do yourself a favor on your next Taco Tuesday, whip up a champagne margarita and these simple taco stuffed sweet potatoes!
Ingredients you’ll need for these Healthy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Lean Ground Turkey
- Taco Seasonings
- Cherry Tomatoes or Salsa
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, Green Onions, Cheese Shredded Lettuce
how to make these stuffed baked sweet potato recipe
This is seriously one of the easiest recipes! I love to roast the sweet potatoes low and slow; it caramelizes the potatoes and brings out a caramel essence!
- Roast sweet potatoes until soft. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of potatoes. If using larger potatoes, cooking time will be closer to an hour.)
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the ground turkey. Break up into small pieces as it cooks. Once cooked, drain excess fat, if needed. Season with taco seasoning.
- Stir to fully incorporate.
- When potatoes or done cooking, remove from oven carefully as they will hot. Cut open top to let steam out. Top potatoes with taco turkey meat, chopped tomatoes or salsa, cheese, lettuce, and avocado, if desired.
Can I prepare them ahead of time?
Yes! This is one of my favorite meals to meal prep with. You can roast the sweet potatoes ahead of time, along with making the taco turkey mixture, then reheat and add your toppings when you are ready to eat. So easy!
Can you freeze these taco stuffed sweet potatoes
Yes and no. You can freeze the taco meat. I usually always make a double batch with the intention to freeze half of the mixture for future meals. Therefore, I can make these stuffed sweet potatoes again, or make taco salads, enchiladas, burritos or serve over cauliflower rice for a lighter Mexican bowl.
I have never tried to freeze the roasted sweet potatoes so I can’t say if it would work or not!
In case you are looking to switch up your Taco Tuesday, these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are Whole 30 compliant, and refined sugar-free! Making them a nutrient-dense dinner option!
meal prep tips:
I love to make these Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for meal prepping. Bake the potatoes and turkey meat, then store individual containers. Then at meal time, reheat and garnish with chopped tomatoes and avocado!
they make great lunch options as well!
if you are short on time, you can cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave by poking then microwaving for 5-8 minutes, or until soft. This cuts the total time of this recipe greatly, making this an extremely quick meal option!