Vanilla Almond Macaroon Granola is a blend of toasted coconut, almonds, and honey that tastes like you are eating a vanilla macaroon cookie!
I like big clusters and I can not lie.
There are two types of people in the world. The people that love their granola silky, and cluster free. Then there are people who rip open a bag of granola and search out every cluster in said bag. Those are the same people that seek out all the marshmallows in Lucky Charms.
Those are my people.
I thought I really loved this chocolate with cherries granola. I mean, how can you go wrong with chocolate? And we can’t forget my first homemade granola that captured my heart. Maple Coconut Butter Quinoa Granola. But this granola! It’s so good. Definitely has become my favorite granola by far. And I am not talking about this is my new favorite snack for a hot minute. I am talking about my favorite granola that I have swooned over from the bulk bin section at my local grocery store. Little handful here, little handful there.
Don’t tell me I am the only one that ‘samples’ all those goodies.
After a few trial and errors, I am proud to say I have recreated my beloved granola. It has been getting my through those late night feedings because who wants something savory at 3am? Bring on the treats.
This granola has so many things going for it.
A bit salty.
A bit sweet.
Full of nutty almonds.
Perfect snacking treat.
Essences of a cookie.
And full of clusters!
There are a few tricks to getting those prized clusters. The first trick is adding an egg white – a beaten egg white – the protein is what binds the oats together. After all the ingredients are mixed, whip your egg white until frothy.
The second trick is to cook low and slow. Lower your oven temperature and stir minimally. The less you stir, the more the oats bind together. Just rotate the pan to prevent uneven cooking. Or if you like some clusters and smooth pieces, then stir halfway and rotate pan.
And the last tip that has saved so many batches of granola, decrease the cooking time if you are using a dark pan. Oh, those poor burnt batches of granola…gone. Rest their souls.
Whether it’s yogurt, ice cream, with milk or by the spoonful, I am telling you, you will be singing right along with me “I like big clusters and I can not lie.”
Items I used to make this recipe:
Serves 1/2 cup
Vanilla Almond Macaroon Granola is a blend of toasted coconut, almonds and honey that tastes like you are eating a vanilla macaroon cookie!
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Combine all of the ingredients but the egg white in a large bowl. Mix well. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Add to the granola mixture and fold in. Combine well.
- Spread it out evenly over the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Halfway through the baking time, stir using a large spatula, careful not to break up the granola too much. Rotate the pan.
- When it is evenly browned and dry, remove pan from oven. Let cool completely. Break up granola into whatever size clusters.
- Store in an air tight container.