Homemade chocolate granola bars filled with double chocolate, cinnamon, and chia seeds! No need to buy store bought as these bars are ready in under 30 minutes!
This is riff off of my favorite Kashi granola bars…sorry, but these are being made in house now!
My latest job, which was working for a digital advertising firm, I was a project manager for Kashi Canada (oh all the food!) and each month, I would continually stare at these beauties and couldn’t help but think I must recreate.
If you have never made your own snacks, ah.may.gosh. Let’s change that! You have free reign on what goes into your snacks. Read that as you call the shots; you customize them bad boys!
Today’s chocolate granola bar recipe is my venture into total customization and they did not disappoint! With a base of oats and peanut butter (or almond butter!), you are free to add other ingredients as you wish, such as coconut flakes, ground flax for a nutrition boost, or chia seeds as I have done here. They provide an extra crunch that I love in granola bars. Plus, chia seeds are little powerhouses with all that fiber, protein, and omegas! Sneaky lil’ devils.
Then for a decadent treat, I added not one but two chocolates; cocoa powder and a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips on top. Because two is better than one. Capeesh?
With healthy and delicious chocolate oat bars recipe that take a mere 30 minutes from start to finish, you can be in snacking heaven in no time!
Oh yes. Come to mama!
meal prep tips:
homemade chocolate granola bars are the perfect make ahead snack to save you between meals. Make a batch, store them in an air tight container in fridge, then pull one out as needed.
store in individual containers to grab and go.
A homemade chocolate granola bar filled with double chocolate, cinnamon and chia seeds! No need to buy store bought as these bars are ready in under 30 minutes!
10 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (dairy free, if needed)
- Sea Salt, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, protein powder, chia seeds, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, microwave the peanut butter and maple for 30 seconds. Stir until both are incorporated well. Add to oat mixture.
- Add milk and stir until dough forms.
- Add to a greased 9x9 pan. Sprinkle and press almonds on top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until set.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle & gently press on mini chocolate chips and sea salt. Let let then cut into 8 bars. Refrigerate bars until ready to eat.