A simple salsa verde of roasted tomatillos, red onions and hatch chiles to make a sweet and smoky salsa that is perfect to any salty tortilla chip!
First off, you all sure do know how to make a girl feel special on her birthday! So thank you for all the love here on the blog, on Facebook and Instagram!
It’s a bittersweet feeling as I enter my last year of my 20’s. With that, I started to think of all the things that are on my bucket list before hitting the age of 30.
I thought it would be a good time to voice that list, complying food and non-food related tasks. So let’s start.
- Successfully make a layered cake. If you know my baking history, this will be a large accomplishment.
- Learn how to make tamales. Love & Olive Oil has inspired me!
- Learn the ins and outs of my camera. Correction…never stop learning!
- Learn how to slalom ski. I have attempted multiple times, but only succeed at drinking a gallon of water.
- Decorate a beautiful cupcake.
- Go scuba diving (and getting over my fear of being underwater). Hopefully I can check this off on our family vacation to Mexico in January!
- Frequent the Farmers Market more often.
- Pay it forward; such as by buying the person behind me their coffee.
- Make a new breakfast each week.
- Head out onto an adventure with no destination in mind.
As I review this list (and it is definitely only a small start!), I naturally gravitate towards the tasks that deem not as intense…such as paying it forward. Life is meant to push the limits and realize all it has to offer by giving more and asking for less.
So what all does this have to do with salsa? Not much besides making a mean salsa is not on my bucket list as I have a pretty good hand at making my own. From a classic restaurant style to the smoky roasted recipe, salsa reigns supreme in our house and lasts only a few short days. Which brings me to today’s recipe!
A bit ago, The Hatch Chile Store sent me some of their roasted hatch chilies to sample as I had yet to add them to my kitchen bucket list. I have been meaning to buy them on so many occasions but my local grocery store never seemed to carry them.
Well I am in love with the hatch chilies mild spice yet fresh flavor. They are not as potent as jalapeños but definitely have a bite to them. For future uses, I plan to swap hatch chilies in wherever poblanos or jalapeños are mentioned. Simple swap to revamp the recipe!
Roasted veggies bring out the natural sugars and add a touch of smoke, which compliment each other well. Paired with a salty tortilla chip and margarita or added to a recipe, this salsa will add some spice to any fiesta!
Looking for more salsa recipes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!
*Disclaimer: I received product from The Hatch Chile Store but, as always, my opinions remain my own.8