My Favorite Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is a time saver and household top pick! Simply throw the chicken in with seasonings and come home to perfectly juicy, shredded chicken! Add to enchiladas, tacos or top salads!
about Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken recipe
I thought to share a family favorite today! My mother and I have been making it for as long as I can remember. As in, this is what my family was known for; from parties to our annual lake trip we would take each summer with 100 of our closest friends. <–That is a whole other post!
The best part? It is dummy proof and makes the ideal canvas for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, salads…you name it!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
- Coconut Sugar (or brown sugar)
- Taco Seasoning
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Mild Green Chilies
how to make Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Place chicken into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Top with tomatoes and green chilies.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When chicken is done, remove chicken from slow cooker and place on cutting board. Let cool for a few minutes. Using two forks, shred chicken then place back into slow cooker to soak up the juices. Serve!
what to serve with Mexican Shredded Chicken recipe?
So many options! We have served them as the filling for tacos, enchiladas, burritos, even over lettuce for a taco salad. But one of our personal favorites the last couple of years has been over cauliflower rice with black beans as a veggie-filled option!
Just remember the greek yogurt queso and chips!
Can you freeze it?
Yes! Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is perfect to make a double batch then freeze half for a later time. Add Mexican shredded chicken to a freezer bag, then lay flat on a cookie sheet and freeze. Doing so helps save freezer space as you are able to stack or stand it upright. Remove from freezer and thaw in the fridge overnight for best results.
Ps…with all your free time, how about your whip up a batch of these Champagne Margarita’s to go with. I’m just sayin…