Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos are slightly sweet and slightly spicy! The slow-cooked chicken is fall-apart tender, juicy and full of chipotle and honey! Delicious in tacos or over lettuce for a lighter option!
Looking for more ideas? Try my Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken, Coconut Margarita, or my Cantina Style Salsa with Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips!
about these Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos
Does your family have those ‘go-to’ dinners that you know no one will complain about? Well, this is ours! I can’t even count how many times I have served it for family get-togethers, parties, even birthday dinners! These tacos are exactly what I want in a meal; bold flavors, easily customizable and everyone ends up going back for second and thirds!
Plus, tacos go hand in hand with margaritas. My other love language!
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chili Powder
- Chipotle in Adobo Sauce (or Ground Chipotle Powder, if gluten-free)
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic salt
- Onion powder
- Ground coriander
- Corn or Flour tortillas
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Garnishes: Red Cabbage, Avocados Lime wedges
How to make Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos:
What I love the most about this recipe is how easy these honey chipotle chicken tacos are! We start with lean chicken that is thrown into a slow cooker. Which a slow cooker is a busy lady’s life savor. We top the chicken with the remaining ingredients, minus the toppings and garnishes, then set it and forget it. See? I told you it was easy!
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it and shred it. Add it back to the slow cooker and stir it around to soak up the sauce. That’s it!
What to serve with Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos:
This is where you can let your creativity really take center stage! I love to serve these with corn or flour tortillas, your preference really. Then top with crisp cabbage for a crunch factor, creamy avocado, but guacamole would be tasty here as well! Then a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
But to be honest, we have served the honey chipotle chicken as burrito bowls many times! Set up a taco bar essentially and let everyone customize their bowl. So easy for large crowds!
Choose your base:
- Cauliflower rice for a low carb or paleo version
- Beans, pinto or black beans
Then the toppings
- Fresh shredded lettuce
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo,
- Cheese dip (oh so good!) or shredded Pepperjack Cheese
- and Cilantro!
How to store these slow cooker chicken tacos:
The best way to store these slow cooker mexican shredded chicken is in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. This is a great opportunity to meal prep for future lunches and dinners. Simply divide the slow cooker mexican shredded chicken into individual containers. And voila, your meals are ready for you for the week! You can also make separate containers that have both sliced cabbage and cilantro each. This preserves their freshness, rather than storing with the chicken since you will eat that before eating.
Can you freeze these slow cooker chicken tacos?
Yes! I love making a double batch of these honey chipotle chicken tacos with the intent of freezing half of the mixture for a meal a month or so down the road!
meal prep tips:
the slow cooker Mexican chicken for this dish is ideal to make and freeze! So double the ingredients for the chicken. Once cooked, let cool, then add to an airtight container or place in a plastic freezer bag, lay flat on a baking sheet in the freezer. (laying on the baking sheet, makes the freezer bag flat and easier to store but it is not necessary if you don’t mind it not being flat.) And let freeze. Remove from the freezer the evening before and place it in the fridge. This chicken is ideal for not only tacos, but salads, burritos, taquitos, and quesadillas!
since this chicken reheats well, make it on a Sunday then eat all week long. You can prepare the tacos one evening, taco salads the next. And don’t forget the lunches! Pack in individual containers to reheat at mealtime!
for the fresh ingredients, such as the cabbage, slice ahead of time then you are ready when its mealtime. I advise against cutting the avocado ahead of time as it will brown too quickly.
Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken Tacos are slightly sweet and slightly spicy! The slow cooked chicken is fall apart tender, juicy and full of chipotle and honey! Delicious in tacos or over lettuce for a lighter option!
15 minPrep Time
3 hr, 30 Cook Time
3 hr, 45 Total Time
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce or ( Ground Chipotle Powder if Gluten Free)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 taco sized corn or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded, if desired
- Red Cabbage, diced
- Avocados, sliced thin
- Lime wedges
- Place chicken in the bottom of a slow-cooker.
- Mix together the chicken rub ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Pour honey over top.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours or low for 5-6 hours or until meat is cooked through and easily falls apart.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Return the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker to absorb the cooking liquid. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- You can either char your tortillas by placing over a gas grill until lightly charred or you can wrap them in a paper towel and microwave for 10 seconds.
- In the center of each tortilla, add the chicken mixture and top with desired garnishes. Serve immediately.
Serving Size is 1 Taco.