Forget the fryer with these Slow Cooker Garlic Honey Teriyaki Chicken Wings! Filled with Asian flavors of garlic, honey, ginger and soy sauce, these wings are the perfect appetizer or light dinner!
I have always thought myself to be a prissy kinda eater.
Not as in I turn my nose up to certain foods. I welcome most foods with open arms.
I have an extreme hatred for those salt bombs.
Prissy can have quite a few meanings but in my world, I say prissy as I enjoy eating my meals with utensils. No mess. Hands stay clean. Face stays clean. Most of the time. But as everything there is an exception to rules. Two exceptions come to think of it.
First off, I take my pancakes mini. I enjoy them hot, cold. Pretty much in any fashion really. Then with my mini pancakes I enjoy to eat them with my hands and dip them in maple syrup. Only a smidgen though! I don’t maple syrup with a side of pancake, please and thank you. I am not sure where my love of miniature pancakes started but I think sometime in college when I was hated on (not really…) for my mini hands. It would be weird for a 5’4” gal to have ginormous hands dontcha think? I agree.
I thought my love of mini pancakes and eating them with my hands was the end of my not so glamorously eating fashion. I have long loathed chicken wings, while my husband has a special place in his heart for them. There is a few restaurants around town, he begs me to go with him. I politely decline then he runs off with his buddies for some beers, wings and ball. Perfect guy stuff that a wife doesn’t need to be involved in.
That all changed when he asked for a healthier spin on wings. My wheels started turning. Baked wings have been done time and time again. So I know I needed another route. Then the slow cooker came to mind and I knew that was my venture.
They are cooked all day in a homemade garlic teriyaki sauce making the wings fall off the bone tender. The teriyaki sauce couldn’t be any easier and you probably already have the ingredients lying around! A quick simmer of the sauce, the wings go in and you are done!
I am willing to be aside my prissy eating habits if I get to indulge in these teriyaki chicken wings one more time.
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- Teriyaki Sauce:
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce (or regular if not gluten sensitive)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Garnish: sesame seeds, cilantro
- Teriyaki Sauce: Combine the water, soy sauce, honey, garlic, garlic powder and ginger in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornstarch with the water and whisk until dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan.
- Heat the sauce until it thickens. Add more water if sauce becomes too thick. Set aside to cool.
- In a slow cooker, add the wings and the sauce. Set on high for 3 – 4 hours, depending on
- Set aside, add more glaze over wings and serve. If you want crisper wings, place under broiler for a few minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and cilantro.
Craving more game day treats?
IIf you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0