These delicious Honey Teriyaki Chicken Bowls are a super quick dinner! Tender chicken is sauteed until juicy and simmered in a homemade, healthy teriyaki sauce. Served with fresh veggies and rice, you will forget all about takeout!
About this Honey Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Please tell me, when a food craving hits, what is it? Nowadays, mine is typically a glass of rose or an endless bowl of chips and salsa with a skinny margarita! But while pregnant with my first kiddo, Aiden, I had these intense cravings for Asian food. An odd craving as prior to pregnancy, as I was satisfied with one date a year with chopsticks.
There really is no rhyme or reason, just my tastebuds hadn’t really fallen in love quite yet. Luckily, my husband will always vote for Asian food if given the option. But being the nice guy he was, he would go for chips and salsa over chopsticks. I really had to twist his arm, let me tell ya!
Ingredients you’ll need for this Recipe:
- Soy Sauce (gluten free, if needed)
- Rice Vinegar
- Coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Ginger
- Garnish – Green onions & Sesame Seeds
How to make Teriyaki Sauce?
A quick whisk of seven ingredients creates the simplest homemade teriyaki sauce recipe! In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce (or gluten free alternative), rice vinegar, coconut sugar (or brown sugar) honey, garlic powder, ground ginger, and cornstarch. If you are looking to make this dish paleo, I have had success with using arrowroot powder in place of the cornstarch! Just make sure to serve it with cauliflower rice instead of regular rice!
How to make Teriyaki Chicken?
This Honey Teriyaki Chicken comes together rather quickly, so I like to have all my ingredients prepared before heating up the saute pan.
- Once the homemade teriyaki sauce is prepared, start cooking your rice.
- While the rice cooks, dice your chicken into small cubes to ensure it cooks quickly.
- Spray your pan with nonstick cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on one side then flip.
- Add the sauce ingredients and cook until the chicken until it is no longer pink and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
See how quick and simple that is? Now you can see why this honey teriyaki chicken recipe has become a favorite around our house!
What to serve with Teriyaki Chicken?
Typical Honey Teriyaki Chicken is paired with steamed white rice, but it doesn’t stop there! In our house, we love to pair this dish with brown rice and either steamed or roasted broccoli. When I am looking to increase my vegetable servings, I serve the Honey Teriyaki Chicken with cauliflower rice, a perfect low carb option.
For a quick and eye-appealing garnish, I like to sprinkle each bowl with sliced green onions and sesame seeds!
How to store Honey Teriyaki Chicken?
The best way to store teriyaki chicken is in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. This is a great opportunity to meal prep for future lunches and dinners. Simply divide the teriyaki chicken, rice and broccoli in individual containers. And voila, your meals are ready for you for the week!
meal prep tips:
this teriyaki chicken bowl recipe is the perfect make-ahead lunch/dinner option. Make a double batch, then store in individual containers. At mealtime, reheat and you are set!
to make this meal even quicker, make the sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge. Then when it is ready to be added to the recipe, remove from the fridge and add to saute pan!
These delicious Skinny Honey Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls is a super quick dinner! Tender chicken is sautéed until juicy and simmered in a homemade, healthy teriyaki sauce. Served with fresh veggies and rice, you will forget all about takeout!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds raw boneless chicken breast or tenders
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Garnish, sesame seeds
- Sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Whisk well until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- Rice: In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to the package instructions. During the last 7 minutes, add the broccoli and cook until tender crisp. Set aside and keep warm.
- Chicken: While rice cooks, in a large saute pan, preheat over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 3 minutes. Flip chicken and add the sauce ingredients. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the rice and broccoli between 4 bowls. Top with chicken, sauce, green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.