These delicious Honey Teriyaki Chicken Bowls are a super quick dinner! Tender chicken is sauteed until juicy and simmered in a homemade, healthy teriyaki sauce. Served with fresh veggies and rice, you will forget all about takeout!
It is rather depressing that I had no desire for Chinese food until I was pregnant. There was no particular reason, but if I was going out for an international cuisine, I could never say no to a margarita. Do you blame me?
There really is no rhyme or reason, just my tastebuds hadn’t really fallen in love quite yet. But luckily, my husband will always vote for Chinese if given the option. But being the nice guy he was, he would go for chips and salsa over chopsticks. I really had to twist his arm, let me tell ya!
Now, I find myself craving Chinese on the regular. My out of control cravings for takeout was actually a clue during pregnancy that we were having a boy. Since the hubs loves Chinese, I knew I was having a mini me of him. And I couldn’t be happier!
To prevent myself from breaking the bank on takeout, I have been experimenting with at home takeout fakeouts; like these Skinny Honey Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls! Who doesn’t like chicken teriyaki? I feel as it is an all around crowd pleaser. And turns out it is a fan favorite in our house too! It is super simple, as in a 20-minute dish and is so flavorful! The homemade teriyaki sauce is salty and slightly sweet, plus I made it over so there is no guilt with this.
The chicken is diced into cubes to help cook the chicken quicker and it helps is stay super moist. While the chicken cooks, you whisk together a seven ingredient sauce which you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry already. So, once the chicken is seared on one side, flip it over to sear on the other. Then you add the sauce. It thickens upon heating as the chicken finishes, a whopping 10 minutes from start to finish! Really kicking myself for not diving into this cuisine sooner. It is a dinner time life saver.
I chose to serve the chicken over brown rice and a side of crisp broccoli. But if you want fewer carbs, go with cauliflower rice or lettuce wraps even! And feel free to spice it up with your veggies of choice!
These Honey Teriyaki Chicken Bowls will be on repeat in no time!
meal prep tips:
this teriyaki chicken bowl recipe is the perfect make-ahead lunch/dinner option. Make a double batch, then store in individual containers. At meal time, reheat and you are set!
to make this meal even quicker, make the sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge. Then when it is ready to be added to the recipe, remove from fridge and add to saute pan!
These delicious Skinny Honey Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls is a super quick dinner! Tender chicken is sautéed until juicy and simmered in a homemade, healthy teriyaki sauce. Served with fresh veggies and rice, you will forget all about takeout!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds raw boneless chicken breast or tenders
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Garnish, sesame seeds
- Sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Whisk well until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- Rice: In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to the package instructions. During the last 7 minutes, add the broccoli and cook until tender crisp. Set aside and keep warm.
- Chicken: While rice cooks, in a large saute pan, preheat over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 3 minutes. Flip chicken and add the sauce ingredients. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the rice and broccoli between 4 bowls. Top with chicken, sauce, green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.