A healthy spin on a restaurant classic, this Skinny Zuppa Toscana Soup is lightened up with cauliflower and sweet turkey sausage! And not to mention, it’s brought together in 30 minutes!
This is the soup that has been comforting me all week long.
It is there for me and accepting the fact that I am becoming an extreme homebody as the D-Day draws near. As in 2 and half weeks away…
I always kinda rolled my eyes when I heard the term ‘nesting.’ Oh come on, that isn’t really a thing…right? Wrong! Big fat wrong.
And I am not the only one with the nesting bug. The hubs has it in full force, as well. Our hours are spent organizing and cleaning every nook and cranny of this house. He was staring at me rather odd when I was wiping down walls and doors.
He claims that it was a bit extreme. Not to I! I see that dirt…you will not survive.
This soup is the epitome of comfort. And not to mention, it is a healthy rendition of a restaurant favorite! If you have experienced Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscano soup, it is highly addicting and warms you from the inside out. Read that as, a spicy Italian sausage soup filled with fresh kale and russet potatoes in a creamy broth. And not to mention topped with a good sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Heaven is what it really should say.
Rather than running to my local Olive Garden, I brought Olive Garden to me and this soup has been a hit every since. I start with my favorite Italian turkey sausage, a sweet variety. But feel free to use spicy if that is what you love. The turkey sausage lightens up the dish too but still provides loads of flavor. Next, rather than potatoes, I use cauliflower! A classic low carb swap for potatoes and I personally love it. Not only does it lower the carb content, it is another sneaky way to get another veggie in your diet. This one even passed by the hubs with flying colors. Guy approved!
To stay traditional, there is loads of kale thrown in and a good handful of parmesan! This soup is ultra creamy and comforting.
Exactly what the doctor ordered!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
A healthy spin on a restaurant classic, this Skinny Zuppa Toscana Soup is lightened up with cauliflower and sweet turkey sausage! And not to mention, it's brought together in 30 minutes!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 pounds lean sweet Italian turkey sausage (or spicy if you prefer)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 cups fresh kale, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 4 ounces reduced fat or
fat freecream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Remove the casing off of the sausage, and cut each link half lengthwise, then cut into slices. In a medium sauté pan sprayed with cooking spray, add sausage, garlic, and onions. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the sausage and onions turn lightly golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Add cauliflower florets and chicken stock to the stockpot, and bring to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until cauliflower is
tender,5 - 8 minutes.
- Remove half of the cauliflower mixture and add to a blender, Make sure to add some of the broth to move the mixture around. Puree until smooth.
- Add back to the pot and add the kale, parmesan, milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Heat through, until the cream cheese is melted. Do not boil.
- Serve immediately with the bacon crumbled on top.
Hungry for more easy soups?