For those cheese and beer lovers – this easy Beer Cheese Soup is delicious, creamy and full of flavor thanks to two types of cheese, beer, ham, and bacon!
I first fell in love with beer cheese soup while in college. Not because I was enjoying a beer and a big ole bowl of cheddar soup. While that sounds tasty, I fell in love during a class.
Let me explain. In college, I studied restaurant management, therefore landing me in lab classes that revolved around food. This particular class was the science of food where we studied the effects of different scenarios applied to particular recipes. Such as, how many times you stir the muffin batter effects how fluffy your muffins end up.
Result. Less is more.
I try to tell my husband that but the man loves to stir…
So, one particular study resulted in me falling in love and devouring one too many bowls of cheddar beer soup. It was:
Full of cheesy goodness.
The best thing about this soup is that it takes a mere 30 minutes. Which means there is not much stopping you from making this warming soup during the week after a long day at work or heck, even on a Saturday afternoon when your stomach is growling. Whenever there is creamy, cheesiness goodness around, I will be searching for a large spoon to feed my craving.
Now who is with me?
meal prep tips:
this easy beer cheese soup is perfect to make a big batch on Sunday then enjoy all week long!
This beer cheese soup freezes wonderfully so if you have leftovers, or make a double batch, freeze the other half in a freezer bag. Lay it flat on a baking sheet until frozen, then you are able to store it easier than in a plastic container!
if you are making this soup on a weeknight, cut the onion, ham, and garnishes ahead of time and store in sealed containers in the fridge until ready to make. You save prep time and make this easy beer cheese soup even easier and quicker!
For those cheese and beer lovers - this Ham and White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup is delicious creamy and full of flavor thanks to two types of cheese, beer, ham and bacon!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour or gluten free flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bottle of your favorite beer (Preferably a wheat beer)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups 2% milk (anything besides skim)
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar, freshly grated
- 6 ounces yellow cheddar, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 cups diced ham, warmed
- Green Onions
- Shredded Cheese
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add the butter. Melt completely.
- Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until softened and slightly golden.
- Whisk in the flour, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Cook for 3-4 minutes until flour is nutty and golden. Add in beer and stirring constantly, cook the mixture somewhat thickens, 2 minutes or so.
- Add chicken stock and milk; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat immediately to a simmer. Cook 5-10 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
- Garnish with ham, bacon, green onions, or additional shredded cheese as desired. Serve immediately.
*Modified from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Jenn Peas and Crayons says
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven says
Nutmeg Nanny says
Nora | Savory Nothings says
Amy Stafford says
Cyndi - My Kitchen Craze says
Megan Keno says
Amanda | The Chunky Chef says
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
Teri Giese says
Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates says
Liz Prucha says
Jessica Gavin says