Deep Dish Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Blondies is a secretly healthy, indulgent paleo dessert! Made with wholesome ingredients and refined sugar-free, no one will have troubles asking for seconds!
Originally Posted February 2015 – Photos Updated September 2016
With a holiday weekend on the horizon, I don’t think I can any more excited! As we head to our lake house today, I knew I had to make another secretly healthy dessert since we all couldn’t get enough of these salted caramel chocolate oat bars.
To up the dessert game for everyone, I knew salted caramel had to be present. That’s a shoe in, huh?
What is better than a big skillet filled with chewy, tender and caramel loaded chocolate chip blondies? Not much but to sweeten up the deal, what if I told you it takes about 10 minutes to throw together and only 20 to bake?
Since we are talking dessert, I tried my best to make this a tad bit on the healthier side. I mean, I tried.
Healthier means you get more, right? Right.
The base is a caramel sauce. A rift off my 5 minute caramel sauce but with more maple, coconut oil and almond butter to thin it so it was pourable. Straight into my mouth! Kidding. Sorta. But really, it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up in your blender. Sneak a taste then pour it into your skillet. Easy peasy. (Did I really just say that? Someone please slap me.)
The chocolate chip blondie is a mix of almond flour, more coconut oil, a touch more of maple and chocolate chips. I use extra fine almond flour which makes the dough lighter and easier to spread. One other tip, you can choose to put the caramel or the cookie dough on the bottom. For a prettier presentation, I chose to put the caramel on bottom but either way, the blondie tastes extra delicious!
The fact that this blondie is paleo and therefore healthier, it crosses out the copious amounts of chocolate chips. What? It makes sense in my world. And you will understand once you take a bite of the ooey gooey caramel and warm, chocolate blondie!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a blender, combine the coconut oil, almond butter and maple syrup. Blend until mixed well and smooth. Pour into a 8 inch cast iron skillet (or glass baking dish if you do not have a cast iron skillet).
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add the coconut oil, maple, egg and vanilla extract. Stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Add to the skillet, smoothing out on top of the caramel.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the blondie is cooked through.
Looking for more chocolate?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0