Chicken Tamale Soup is a full on spice with a slight sweetness much like your favorite tamale! Comes together quickly and is naturally gluten free so there is no guilt with this soup!
Let’s be honest. I am food blogger that thrives off the chance to swoon my loved ones with new and old faves. I think weeks (maybe months) in advance of the perfect menu to ensure I put my best foot (er, food?) forward. My mother thinks I’m crazy as she can think of a million other things to do (shopping…) besides cook. She has this beauuuttifulll kitchen with endless amounts of natural light.
I’m not jealous or anything.
I keep telling her to let me be her personal chef. Best of both worlds. She is lucky enough to have her favorite daughter in the entire world whip together healthy and delicious meals in a jiffy and I get to finally fulfill my dream of becoming a personal chef.
Any other takers out there?
So when I start to think of the Super Bowl, I am so giddy as my mind races at the endless possibilities of snacks, chilies, soup, finger foods and sweet treats to devour while watching the Super Bowl commercials. I mean, football. Please don’t tell me the ONLY reason you watch the game is for the action. Because everyone knows the game usually ends up a flop yet the commercials get everyone laughing.
One sure thing to not be a flop is this Chicken Tamale Soup. I have a love in my heart for tamale’s. Kinda like the sweetened corn mesa treat that comes with your dish at mexican restaurants. Be sure your hand will be slapped if you try to steal mine. The flavors of fajitas and tamales marry in this soup to create a new twist on one my favorite soups, Chicken Tortilla. Polenta is added to thicken up the soup. It also provides an underlying sweetness while the jalapenos and chili powder provide the fire. Perfect marriage, right? And not to mention this soup comes together in a jiffy. Shredded chicken is added to caramelized onions and peppers along with homemade enchilada sauce that is a breezy to make. Promise me you will never buy it again? You have everything in your cabinet already to make it and it’s insanelyyyy scrumptious.
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ red onion
- ½ white onion
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ yellow pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) corn, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped candied jalapenos
- 32 oz chicken broth
- ½ cup polenta
- 1½ pounds chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Jalapeno White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil; once heated add onions. Once soft, add peppers. Saute about 10 minutes until peppers are soft and onions are clear.
- Add black beans, corn, jalapenos, enchilada sauce and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Add polenta and whisk to combine well. Turn heat to medium high, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and let cook 20 minutes to heat through; stirring often to ensure polenta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken and heat through.
- To serve, top with cilantro, avocado and jalapeno white cheddar cheese.
Looking for more soup recipes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!