Well, after wooing and throwing some indulgent recipes towards you, I thought to be considerate to the waist line with a light, flavorful, and not to mention, easy to throw together healthy salad.
These types of salads are my secret to keeping sane during my work weeks. Between ensuring the fiance heads out the door with a hearty breakfast, (remember those banana bars from my last post? They come in handy…) and a lunch box filled enough to last him throughout the day, and not to mention our way too pampered kitty gets his breakfast, I am usually left scratching my head on what to delight myself with for lunch. So having these types of salads in my recipe reservoir are my savor! And the best part, I get these babies all to myself. #winning
This salad makes a hearty compliment to any grilled chicken or filet mignon, my personal favorite. The flavors meld beautiful as it sits overnight; from a generous dusting of salt and pepper, the spice of the red onions compliment the delicate crunch from the cucumbers and the heartiness from the garbanzo beans. The dressing lends flavors of a slight sweetness and earthiness that reminiscent times where you spent hours perfecting it, all along the while, you whisked together in a moments notice and savored the rest of the beautiful fall evening on your back porch, sipping a glass of wine.
Not everyone needs to knows the chefs secrets.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3 English cucumbers
- 1 can (14.5 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- Handful of parsley, chopped fine
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cut cucumbers in half, length wise, then again to create 4 wedges. Slice into quarter inch slices.
- In a medium bowl, combine cucumbers, garbanzo beans, red bell pepper, and red onion together.
- For Dressing, whisk all ingredient until well combined. Add dressing to salad and toss gently. This salad tastes wonderful once prepped, but the flavors meld beautifully as it marinates overnight in the fridge!