Decedent rice krispy treats get a chocolatey makeover – with not one chocolate, but three! A dessert that is sure to please everyone!
I am taking some time away to celebrate becoming a married women and relaxing with my new hubby! So a few friends have graciously offered to keep you company! Thanks, Rachel (and PS….Happy Wedding Anniversary)!
Hi friends and readers of The Housewife in Training Files! I’m excited to be posting here today and sharing this easy recipe with you. I’m Rachel of Rachel Cooks. I share lots of family friendly recipes on my site. Easy stuff that you can make even if you have two toddlers crawling up your legs. Which I do. And I have to share that Meg got married on my 6th anniversary! So maybe in 6 years you’ll have two toddlers crawling up your legs too, Meg. 😉
Hot summer days and hot summer picnics call for quick treats that don’t require a lot of work and definitely don’t require turning the oven on. And this one is for all you chocolate lovers out there!
Who is raising their hand and declaring themselves a chocolate lover? I know I am! I used Cocoa Puff cereal as the base of these bars. I mixed some chocolate chips in with the cereal for a nice crunchy bite of chocolate in every bite. Then I mixed up the usual marshmallow and butter mixture — the classic binder used in rice krispy treats. Except in my big ol’ pan there were some more chocolate chips. They melted along with the marshmallows and butter to create a chocolatey coating for the cereal and chocolate chips. After I coated the cereal and spread it in the pan, I melted a third cup (yeah, a WHOLE cup!) of chocolate chips and spread that over the top of the bars.
After it hardened, I cut it into squares and devoured. I prepped mine in an 8×8 pan so they were sky-high. I did this partially intentionally and partially because my other pan was full of Fruity Pebble No-Bake Bars. If you’re looking for a smaller, flatter bar, feel free to prepare these in a 9×13 pan. They won’t look as awesomely tall but they will be slightly easier to eat. Which means you can eat more of them even more quickly. You can decide if that’s a good or a bad thing.
Decedent rice krispy treats get a chocolatey makeover - with not one chocolate, but three! A dessert that is sure to please everyone!
45 minPrep Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional to grease the pan
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 cups cocoa puff cereal
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- sprinkle of fine sea salt for dusting, optional
- Butter a 8x8 pan with butter.
- In a large, deep pan (nonstick prefered), melt butter, mini marshmallows, and one cup chocolate chips over low heat until completely melted (no lumps of marshmallows or chocolate chips remain).
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and cocoa puff cereal. Continue to stir until all cereal and chocolate chips are coated with marshmallow/butter combination. Pour into prepared pan.
- Spray hands lightly with nonstick baking spray (or coat with butter) and press mixture gently into pan.
- Into a small bowl, add one cup of chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon canola oil. Melt slowly in the microwave (30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval) until completely melted. Pour over bars and sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Let cool completely and let chocolate harden before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
Verdict: Triple chocolate = triple like.
Husband’s take: He said these were too chocolatey for him. Weirdo. But I happened to work a few hours at the hospital and my co-workers loved these!
Changes I would make: None are necessary at all!
Difficulty: So easy!
Thanks for having me, Meg! Hope you’re having a blast on your honeymoon!76