A quick and healthy 30 minute soup! Tuscan Italian Sausage White Bean Soup with Zucchini Noodles is full of flavor yet lighter so you can indulge in a bowl or two!
Inspiration comes from every corner most days.
With usually more inspiration than I can handle. Often times, I have a journal full of recipe ideas I want to try out and not to mention the large stack of recipes ripped out of Food Network and Cooking Light magazine.
And sometimes, recipes are sparked from failure of a completely different recipe!
A couple months ago, I attempted Jessica’s Creamy Parmesan White Bean Stew with Spicy Greens with complete failure. First off, I failed to read the recipe through and see that it took a few hours to cook. Eating dinner around 8:30pm doesn’t fly in our house. Therefore, I didn’t season the soup because I was over cooking that day and just wanted to clean up. Mistake big time. Thirdly, the stew didn’t thicken up like her’s did. So I was left with a flavorless and thin soup. I am sure Jessica’s rocked but my version was less than par.
Determined to not throw out this giant bowl of leftover white bean soup, I played with some seasonings and ingredients I had in my fridge. I posted this picture on Instagram and apparently you all were loving the look of it!
And there my inspiration was born.
With the New Year, I thought to start out with some stick to your bones, yet healthy dishes to keep us all on track! While I enjoy my diet that consisted of cookies in December, I know it can’t be a long term thing. Sad I know. But life is about balance, so even with all those new years resolutions out there, I thought if we all eat healthy most of the time, we can enjoy a treat or two elsewhere. My kinda balance!
To help with those nutritious meals, this soup comes together quickly and is filled with flavor. Sweet turkey Italian sausage is mixed with white beans, Italian diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Then it simmers for 10 minutes so the flavors can marry together. While the soup simmers, you spiralize your zucchini. Since zucchini’s are delicate and don’t take much for them to cook, they are simply heated by the heat of the soup. Add the zoodles to your serving bowl, ladle two big ladles of soup over them then let them sit for a minute or two. The zoodles cook and the soup cools off to ensure you don’t scorch your taste buds.
This soup tastes amazing reheated and even better when sprinkled with a bit of shaved parmesan!
With a soup that is only one bowl and from stove top to table in 30 minutes, its a delicious meal that is begging to be added to your menu tonight!
- 1¼ lbs sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes, not drained
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp Italians Seasoning
- 2 medium zucchinis
- To serve: Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In a large skillet, salute the Italian sausage. Chop it into small pieces as it cooks if you are using links.
- When turkey is cooked, add the white beans, tomatoes, chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spiralize zucchini and cut into 1 inch pieces. This will make it much easier to eat!
- To serve, add a handful of zucchini noodles into the bowl, label the soup over and garnish with parmesan if desired. The hot soup will slightly cook the noodles to make them softer!
*This soup reheats wonderfully! Just add the zucchini noodles and soup into a microwave safe bowl, then reheat in the microwave for a few minutes.
Looking for more healthy soups?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!