A quick and hearty sweet Italian sausage soup filled with veggies and kale! And no Italian meal is complete with garlic toast! A quick 4 ingredient, garlic toast is perfect to dip into your soup!
You know how you spell comfort? It’s right above. Yup, right thur.
Thank goodness for that woman, as she is my personal editor. Just love those mornings when she sends me a text to pointout a mishap here on the bloggy blog.
Never fails. Despite the countless times I read through the post, I still miss a word.
Like I said, spelling is not my forte. But pictures are! Hence why Instagram reigns supreme to twitter. There are far too many words to skim through during the few minutes I have to even poke my head into the social atmosphere.
Just as pictures are worth a thousand words, this soup is repeating comfort over and over. And over. And over.
We won’t discuss that regardless how it is still summer, the weather in KC is way too chilly for my liking. Therefore, soup season has commenced in our house. Eating soup that makes me feel all warm inside just makes me beam. A feel good sorta meal that I will gladly choose day after day.
Sweet Italian sausage is a guilty pleasure of mine; actually turkey Italian sausage. I adore the sweet version of sausage for its ability to add excitement into any ol’ dish. Add it into a stew with a bit of spice to send your taste buds on a rollercoaster from a bit of heat to sweet notes. Just like in this soup. Oh so delicious!
I made this soup on the stovetop for a quick ‘stovetop to table’ option, but I can’t see why the crockpot wouldn’t work just as well! Just brown the meat beforehand to ensure the flavor boost that yields from the browning comes through. Simply throw the remainder of the ingredients in and let her go!
I can’t leave you today without mentioning the toast. Gah. Oh the toast! A four ingredient flavor bomb. Slice a fresh baguette, spread with butter, sprinkle with garlic salt and load on the shredded parmesan; and be ready for some of the best garlic toast you have ever tasted. The butter melts into the nooks and crannies of the toast. The garlic melds into the butter and the parmesan gets all gooey and golden brown. Whether you add it on top of the soup or dip ‘em in, you can’t go wrong this cheesy garlic toast that takes mere minutes to whip together. And word to wise, make twice as much as you think you will need. They go quickly!
Chilly days, filled with family and friends and probably some football calls for three things, fun, booze and straight up comfort food!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- 1¼ pounds sweet turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, diced small
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped kale
- Cheesy Garlic Toast:
- 1 small baguette, sliced into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- Soup: In a large sauce pot, add Italian sausage and sauté until no longer pink. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until softened. Drain off any fat, if needed.
- Add seasonings, tomato paste, diced tomatoes with juice, broth and kale.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes to meld flavors.
- Soup: Meanwhile, lay baguettes onto a baking sheet. Spread with butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt, then sprinkle with parmesan.
- Place under broiler under golden brown, about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them, as they go fast.
- When ready to serve, ladle soup into 6 bowls then top with cheesy garlic toast.
Craving more comforting soups?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0