Stuffed poblano peppers loaded with flavorful chicken sausage, green chiles and fresh corn to make one nutrient dense meal!
For once I succeeded what every food blogger faces every day.
Food envy of our past selves, where we happily consumed our food project of the day. Food envy of our past selves as we edit for hours, stare at a blank slate for a minute and probably bounce between social networks until a spark of inspiration hits us.
Talk about a tease. Drool worthy, tempting photos of food successes that just make your mouth water and taste buds dance creating that undeniable craving that cannot be ignored. You know similar to a pregnant women that wants a jar of pickles with a side of peanut butter. You know that craving? Ya me neither. I have yet to go through those crazy days.
I can only imagine as my food urges are purdy ridiculous.
But finally! All hail stuffed peppers!
Okay enough crazy.
But seriously. I am sitting here on a lovely evening, speaking my mind with all you internet friends, all while enjoying these stuffed peppers.
Talk about a sweet success.
Stuffed peppers come around our kitchen quite frequently these days for multiple reasons. Quick to assemble, so darn versatile, and pack a veggie punch. They are a boat that can sail in so many directions – from enchilada stuffed, to buffalo chicken, to quinoa stuffed, to my personal favorite, Italian Stuffed Peppers.
Chicken sausage is sautéed with red onions for their complex and spicy flavor, then green chiles are added for a touch of fiery goodness and finished off with fresh corn for that perfect crunch and sweetness. As the birds start chirping outside, that means one thing…spring and farms market veggies are plentiful so corn makes a weekly appearance.
Cheddar cheese is thrown in to create that ooey, gooey bite that everyone is dying to find when these peppers hit their plate. Plus, can you ever ever go wrong with melty, cheesy goodness?
Tasty lil boats that make an incredibly nutrient dense and flavorful dinner that everyone will be saying “what a sweet success!”
- 6 medium poblano peppers
- 1¼ lbs lean chicken sausage, uncooked, removed from casing
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced green chiles
- 1½ cups fresh corn
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Toppings: Sliced Avocado, Cheddar Cheese & Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- In a large saute pan over medium, add chicken sausage. Break up with the end of a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once chicken is half way cooked, add diced red onions and carrots, and cook until translucent and chicken is fully cooked.
- Add green chiles, corn, corn, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- While chicken cooks, make a slit lengthways down the peppers and remove inside seeds.
- Add chicken mixture evenly between the peppers. Add peppers to baking sheet and roast for 15 - 20 minutes, or until peppers are soft and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with avocado, cheese and cilantro. Serve!
Craving more spice?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!