A skinny version of the classic Spinach & Artichoke Dip with roasted garlic and red peppers!
Let’s play a game.
The game where you come over to help me clean the house and I feed you in spinach dip.
It’s a win-win situation.
You get to stuff your face with some pretty delicious roasted garlic dip with a touch of spinach and I get to kick my feet up and enjoy the glory of a clean house. Happy girl right here.
It’s that time. Spring! Everyone’s talkin’ about it incase you are living under a rock. The birds chirping, flip flops are being dusted off and shorts are appearing on extremely pale legs. Not pretty.
While I adore every aspect I mentioned above, it usually means a good ol’ cleaning is in order as well. Shake things up a bit, bring out the spring decorations and open up the windows. Let the fresh air in! It’s refreshing and just puts a lil pep in everyone’s step.
You know what else puts a lil pep in everyone’s step? Food. Lots of it.
Specifically this roasted garlic, spinach and artichoke dip.
Oh my heavens.
The roasted garlic is my favorite part. I adore anything with garlic…especially roasted garlic. I will add it just about anything. Except my nightly dessert. That’s pushing it.
Roasted garlic is a cinch to make if you have never ventured to make it. It fills up your house with this insanely caramel aroma and adds such a depth of flavor to any dish.
This dish is not short on garlic flavor. But not in the ‘better not get close to anyone’ sense. I wouldn’t do that to you!
I lightened up the cream base as I did in my Cajun Alfredo Skillet and I was incredibly shocked with how addicting it was. Cottage cheese and almond milk are blended together then heated with nutty and salty parmesan to make a lick-off-the-spoon delicious sauce.
And what is a dip without its accomplice? Fresh, homemade pita chips are the bomb. Brushed with a bit of olive oil and garlic (didn’t think I would leave it out, did you?) then baked until crisp. They are addicting. As in I want to eat them with everything from my morning eggs, to salads, to right along with dinner.
Now that I have you won over…how about our deal? I will be waiting!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1½ cups shaved parmesan
- 16 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped artichoke hearts
- 2 whole roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Pita Chips
- 6 whole pita rounds, cut into 8ths (Gluten free, if needed)
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch garlic powder
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Cut off ¼ to a ½ inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
- Wrap garlic in foil, drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Close foil around garlic with a small opening remaining. Add to oven and roast for 45 minutes, or until garlic is soft and caramelized.
- Remove from oven, and allow garlic to cool so you are able to handle it. Lower oven
heatto 375 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, spray pita with olive oil,
saltand garlic powder. Add to baking sheet and bake in ovenuntil crisp, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While pita chips are baking, add milk, cottage cheese and 6 of the garlic cloves to a blender and puree.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Once fully melted, whisk in tapioca starch until clumps form. Add milk mixture and whisk well. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken.
mixtureis thickened, add cream cheese and parmesan. Whisk until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add spinach, artichokes, red peppers salt, pepper and garlic powder. (If artichokes are large, chop until small and bite
size,if desired.) Stir mixture well until fully incorporated.
- Add mixture to a greased 10 inch baking dish. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.
Craving more appetizers?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0