These Slow Cooker Healthy Maple Bacon Baked Beans are a barbeque, get together must have! A healthy twist on the classic bacon baked beans with maple, that allows your slow cooker do all the work.
Being from the midwest, there are some non-negotiables for summer get together’s.
The obvious, something delicious on the grill. A chilled beverage of choice; a chilled glass of pinot grigio or margarita are my two top picks! And lastly, baked beans.
With summer on the horizon, we all need a delicious, and not to mention, eassyyyyyyy side dish we can all count on. And one everyone will be thankful you brought. And I am not talking about those cans of baked beans. After seeing some of the ingredients in them, I decided to give a go at them. I thought, how hard could they be?
Spoiler. Not hard one bit.
Beans + a homemade maple and bacon infused BBQ = insanely addicting dish. I am tellin ya. You will forget all about those cans of beans from the Bush family.
I am not lying when I say these beans are the best . They start with bacon. So duh. Then maple, tomato paste, chile powder, coconut sugar (or brown sugar if that suits ya), onion and garlic all simmer into a delicious glaze. Resist not to just eat the sauce as is. I had to hide it from my husband before he put big ol’ spoonfuls onto nearly everything…poor guy. I am constantly telling him to keep his paws off food in our fridge until I get around to photographing it. Oh, the joys of being married to a food blogger…
After letting the beans soak overnight, some of the soaked bean water is mixed with the luscious BBQ sauce in the slow cooker. Then the hardest part awaits. Flipping on the switch and waiting. The maple bacon aroma that slowly fills your house will make you think you are in the heart of a midwest BBQ joint. Just minus the cleaning crew. Rats.
The only thing left to do is find yourself an invite to a summer BBQ. If you find one, make sure to shoot one my way!
Items I used to make this recipe:
These Slow Cooker Healthy Maple Bacon Baked Beans are a barbeque, get together must have! A healthy twist on the classic bacon baked beans that allows your slow cooker do all the work!
12 hrPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
18 hrTotal Time
- 1 pound dry navy beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 uncooked pound turkey bacon, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire suce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place dry beans in a large pot. Add the water and cover. Let beans soak overnight.
- Drain the beans, but reserving 4 cups of water. Rinse the beans and set aside.
- When beans are rinsed, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bacon, garlic, and onion to the prepared pan. Stir frequently until crispy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, maple syrup, coconut sugar, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until incorporated. Bring to a simmer then allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beans and reserved water.
- Cove the beans and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Cook beans on high for 4 to 5 hours, or until beans are soft and sauce begins to thicken. Keep beans on "warm" in slow-cooker until ready to serve.
*Recipe modified from Whole and Heavenly Oven Serving Size is 1/2 cup
Looking for more potluck type recipes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!14