A Panera classic made over for a creamy yet lighter Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup! You won’t miss the heavy cream and butter in this delicious recipe!
Is it obnoxiously cold where you are?
Because here in KC, it is COLDDDDD. I am currently sitting next to my fire, with my fuzzy socks, numerous blankets, a couple sweatshirts and possibly gloves…it might as well be a meat locker in our house!
Granted KC has seen colder days, much colder. But if it going to be this cold, I want snow dang it. Something about the watching the snowflakes fall makes me want all things hot cocoa and stick to your bones soup. Topped with cheese for bonus points!
But let’s be real, what is soup without cheese? I know, right.
When Mr HIT and I were discussing which soup to warm us up, he started venturing down the lines of the irresistible, thick and creamy Broccoli Cheddar soup. Just like Panera’s. But my chicken broccoli cheddar soup…
Upon, googling the soup, I quickly realized it is the least bit figure friendly. I mean heavy cream, flour, butter? Naturally I went along my way but adding a healthier spin on it so you can have one more bowl or that extra piece of leftover Thanksgiving day dessert that we all know we want. I am not judging.
Did I mention this soup only calls for one pot? No pre cooking the chicken or par boiling the broccoli! Throw everything into the pot and let simmer for a short time. At the end, you add in a mixture of cornstarch and water to thicken the soup and create that texture that we all love from Panera! And yes I know Panera’s doesn’t call for chicken, but I just love adding a bit of protein to make a well rounded meal! If you prefer to forgo the chicken, simply leave out! Simple as that.
As I hope the snow starts falling soon, at least I will be able to ditch my gloves soon thanks to a warm soup!
A Panera classic made over for a creamy yet lighter Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup! You won't miss the heavy cream and butter in this delicious recipe!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp gluten free flour
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups fresh, chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 pound raw, cubed chicken (I use Just Bare Chicken)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 cup plain, non fat greek yogurt
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes to sweat the onion and until its translucent.
- Whisk in the flour until the onion is well coated.
- Add the milk, stock, broccoli, carrots, chicken, nutmeg, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheddar and stir well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Add to the soup and stir continually until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and add the greek yogurt.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with more cheddar if desired.
Need some other soups to warm up with?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!21