Dark Chocolate Chunk Cherry Granola is a lighter granola made with unsweetened applesauce and honey! Dark chocolate chunks, cherries and pecans make this skinny granola a decedent treat!
You know what get’s me every time?
Target. Or Targeé if you happen to be one of those people.
I cannot deny or confirm I have ever been of those people.
What is it about Target that lures you in? It’s as if they have a subliminal message within 500 feet of their store that makes you stop everything your doing and come linger around the isles and buy non sense.
It has happened far more than I would like to admit.
And apparently I am not alone….have you seen the ‘53 Thoughts Every Girl Has While Shopping at Target“?
Every single thought has strolled through my head and my poor wallet gets the grunt of it all. But man those sandals that were on sale sure do look cute!
What does this all have to do with granola?
Really not much besides I just fell victim to Target’s subliminal messages yet again. Please tell me I am not alone here?
Today’s version is sans coconut oil and quinoa. Decided to throw you all a curve ball! I added not one but two types of chocolate because we are heading into the holidays and I want to get a head start on my stretchy pants.
Just kidding! My favorite part of this granola is not only the plump dried, tart cherries nor the wholesome and salty pecans but the way that I lightened up the granola. Rather than oil, I subbed applesauce since it proved victorious in my apple bread! I love the way that is provides moisture yet the honey provides the sweetness and the ability to help form the famous clusters that we all love to pick out of the granola.
This dark chocolate chunk cherry granola is the perfect topper to greek yogurt in the morning or joined in a big ol’ bowl of almond milk. The dark chocolate and tart cherries work beautifully together to bring some major crunch, a punch of sweetness, a healthy dose of chocolate, a lil fruit into your day and ranks high on the satisfaction scale!
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans
- ⅔ cup honey
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (such as Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt until mixed well.
- Toss in pecans and mix well.
- Add honey and applesauce. Stir well.
- Spread out onto large baking sheet that is lined with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Stir, then bake another 10 minutes. Repeat two more times, for a total baking time of 40 minutes. Try not to break up any clumps as you stir.
- Once done, remove from oven and if you want, grab granola and squeeze together to create clumps. Let cool then stir in cherries and dark chocolate chunks.
- Store in air tight containers.
- Enjoy with milk, over yogurt or by the handful!
Hungry for more granola?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0