So I may have a tendency to get fixated on one thing…
So take my latest…smoked pork. Kinda hard not to when you have enough to feed a small army stock piled in the freezer. This recipe is a great way to fulfill those cravings for warm, cheesy foods that hit harder than freight trains during the fall months. Just call it a warm up before the main event.
What is it about crispy, buttery, golden nutty bread that makes it so irresistible? Pretty sure nothing is better. Well, maybe the sweet and zesty jalapeno cream cheese that just melts all over the smoked pork. And maybe the sharp cheddar that creates an ooey, gooey beautiful mess.
And the beauty of this recipe? You can totally use whatever meat you have on hand. Grilled chicken would be delightful and crispy, salty bacon might make this Panini too hot to handle. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
18 minTotal Time
- For the Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 oz shard cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 oz smoked pork
- 1 T butter
- 2 T Jalapeno Cream Cheese
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese
- 1/2 c low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c candied jalapenos, finely diced
- 2 green onion stalks, finely diced
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper, taste
- For the Jalapeno Cream Cheese: Mix all ingredients and season to taste.
- For the Sandwich: Heat a saute pan or electric skillet over medium heat. Butter the outside of each bread slice. Place 1 slice butter-side down on the skillet, then top with pork. Sprinkle cheese on top. Spread cream cheese on non-buttered side of the other slice of bread, then top the sandwich with the butter-side up. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Then flip and cook until cheese is melty and bread is crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately!