For those cheese and beer lovers – this Ham and White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup is delicious creamy and full of flavor thanks to two types of cheese, beer, ham and bacon!
I first fell in love with beer cheese soup while in college. Not because I was enjoying a beer and a big ol bowl of chedder soup. While that sounds tasty, I fell in love during a class.
Let me explain. In college, I studied restaurant management therefore landing me in lab classes that revolved around food. This particular class was the science of food where we studied the effects of different sceniors applied to particular recipes. Such as, how many times you stir the muffin batter effects how fluffy your muffins end up.
Result. Less is more.
I try to tell my husband that but the man loves to stir…
So, one particular study resulted in me falling in love and devouring one too many bowls of cheddar beer soup. It was:
Full of cheesey goodness.
The best thing about this soup is that is takes a mere 30 minutes. Which means there is not much stopping you from making this warming soup during the week after a long day at work or heck, even on a Saturday afternoon when your stomach is growling. Which whenever there is creamy, cheesiness goodness around, I will be searching for a large spoon to feed my craving.
Now who is with me?
Tools I used to make this recipe:
For those cheese and beer lovers - this Ham and White Cheddar Beer Cheese Soup is delicious creamy and full of flavor thanks to two types of cheese, beer, ham and bacon!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bottle of your favorite beer (Preferably a wheat beer)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar, freshly grated
- 6 ounces yellow cheddar, freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 2 cups diced ham, warmed
- Garnishes: Bacon, Green Onions, Shredded Cheese
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add the butter. Melt completely.
- Add onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until softened and slightly golden.
- Whisk in the flour, salt, white pepper, and dry mustard. Cook for 3-4 minutes until flour is nutty and golden. Add in beer and stirring constantly, cook the mixture somewhat thickens, 2 minutes or so.
- Add chicken broth and milk; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat immediately to a simmer. Cook 5-10 minutes or until soup is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
- Garnish with ham, bacon, green onions, or additional shredded cheese as desired. Serve immediately.
*Modified from Lemon Tree Dwelling
Looking for more easy soup recipes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!3