A healthy spin on the classic, Grilled Chicken and Bacon ‘Mac & Cheese’, this Paleo dinner is made of sweet potato noodles, a lighter cheese sauce and topped with grilled chicken and bacon!
I’m so thrilled to introduce a new collaboration that my friend, Becky from The Cookie Rookie, and I have put together – The Rookie Housewife Cooking Series!
We are teaming up each month to present a delicious recipe each month based of a selected ingredient! So with that same ingredient we will both head into our own kitchens and whip up two completely different recipes and present them to all of our friends here! I am ecstatic to see our new adventure roll out! This week, she has drool-worthy Chicken and Sweet Potato Enchiladas…check them out here!!
For our first collaboration, we chose sweet potatoes. The possibilities are endless and it is no secret that I adore sweet potatoes. I often seem to hoard the sweet potatoes in my house as I get way to excited and overly anxious to cook with them. I mean, I have to make the right recipe! Even though caramelized, roasted sweet potatoes rank among my favorite ways to
devour prepare them.
Spiralizing vegetables is my latest obsession. They provide the ‘pasta-like’ dinner experience yet are more figure friendly, along with the lines of providing a gluten free meal and higher nutritional punch! A completely indulgent mac and cheese dish is my weakness. Who doesn’t love the comfort that is served along with mac and cheese? It instantly takes me back to my childhood, except now a days it is much fancier than the ever so popular blue box mac and cheese.
And the cherry on top…bacon. That doesn’t even need any explaining.
- 4 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ large onion
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup provolone
- ½ cup fontina
- Parsley, for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Arrange the bacon on a greased oven rack placed over a baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 15 minutes. Once cool, chop and set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add a touch of olive oi. and sliced onions. Caramelize on low heat, about 20 minutes.
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes according to equipments instructions. And to caramelizing onions. Cook for 15 minutes, or until 'al dente'.
- Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, season with the paprika, salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for about 5 minutes on one side then flip and cook until chicken reaches 165 degrees in the middle. Transfer to a cutting board and thinly slice.
- While the chicken cooks, melt the butter in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Add both milks, butter, tapioca starch, and garlic powder. Whisk! Bring to a boil and reduce to a light simmer, whisking, until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and add both cheeses, taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Add sweet potatoes to plate, top with cheese sauce, chicken, bacon and parsley.
Looking for more healthy dinners?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #HOUSEWIFEINTRAININGFILES. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!