Garlic Gouda & Parmesan Cauliflower Au Gratin is the perfect side dish for your holiday table but easy enough for any weeknight dinner! Tender cauliflower blanketed in a double cheese sauce and crunchy panko topping!
Tell me. Are you one of those people that savors every moment of each holiday or do you jump the gun and start playing Christmas music two weeks before Thanksgiving and start decking your halls with all things jingle bells?
Just the thought of pulling out my Christmas decor at this moment gives me anxiety. I feel like I can’t even keep my house organized currently. Between attempting to do the dishes, not tripping over the babes play gym and making myself lunch while holding him is enough to make me crack open a bottle of wine at 1 pm.
No judgment right?
My love for the holidays runs deep but I do enjoy celebrating one at a time. Give each one the spotlight as they are fabulous on their own for separate reasons. Because too often I feel like Christmas is the first child that takes over every moment by taking the limelight from the second child. Poor Thanksgiving.
It is rare that a holiday table does not include potatoes, but this cauliflower au gratin rivals its potato counterpart. This version still gives you the gooey, cheesy flavor with a crunchy panko topping but is lightened up with cauliflower.
The cheese sauce is lightened up with almond milk and creamy, full flavored gouda and melted to gooey perfection. That luscious sauce is the perfect blanket over the tender cauliflower.
This dish may seem sinful, but it light, fresh and perfect for that holiday table!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
- 1 head of cauliflower, florets cut from stalk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour, or regular flour
- 1½ cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1½ cups gouda cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs (gluten free if needed)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Spray a 2-quart baking dish or 9
inchcast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender, 5-8 minutes. Drain well, then transfer to the baking dish.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot and minced garlic. Cook until the shallot is
softened,2 minutes. Whisk in the flour; whisk for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a slowly, whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, whisking occasionally, until the mixtures slightly thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add half of the gouda, salt and pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted. Then add the other half of cheese. Whisk until sauce is smooth. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and stir gently to combine.
- Combine the panko breadcrumbs and the parmesan cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the top and bake until the topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Hungry for more healthy side dishes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!