Cranberry Orange Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread is an easy quick bread and a heart healthy way to start your morning! Perfectly toasted, spread with a bit of butter and a cup of coffee!
I have a bone to pick.
With Mother Nature that is.
What is her deal? Currently, here in KC, we are experiencing mid 50’s and it will be in the 60’s by the end of the week.
Wait, where do I live? On what coast?
Granted, I love the sun kissing my face but when I sit and adore my Christmas tree, I am really hoping to see snow outside my window while sipping hot cocoa and enjoying an eggnog donut muffin.
Rather, I am wishing to make a margarita and sitting on our patio….anyone care to join me?
But really, December may be my second favorite time of the year besides the summer time. This year may trump all the others now that our little man is here.
While he may not be able to open presents, just knowing that he is here with us, we will be thanking God for our favorite gift of all!
So let’s talk about a very important part of the holidays.
What will you be enjoying Christmas morning? You have to have a big feast to fuel all those presents that need attention. When I was younger, my Dad was the one in charge of breakfast. Over easy eggs, english muffins, cinnamon swirl bread, bacon and hot cocoa. Now I am sure my parents added a splash of bailey’s to their cup; who wouldn’t? It’s a holiday!
Fast forward to starting our own family tradition – while we may not have over easy eggs (have I mentioned how much I despise being allergic to eggs?), we will be devouring this cranberry orange whole wheat english muffin bread!
First off, cranberry orange just makes me think of the holidays. The slightly citrus notes that off balance the sourness of the cranberries is one combination that never gets old!
As for this english muffin bread? I first fell in love when I was a teenager; my aunt made it and I have been dying to make it ever since. Kicking myself for waiting so long; it has the flavor and texture of your favorite english muffins but in a much easier, loaf form! Perfectly crunchy exterior, chewy interior. Plus those notorious nooks and crannies that soak up all that butter when toasted. And a wholesome, nutty note from the whole wheat flour. If you don’t want such a heavy wheat flavor, sub white whole wheat flour.
Either way, this is the perfect side kick for that Christmas morning buffet!
Tools I used to make this recipe:
Serves 1 Slice
Cranberry Orange Whole Wheat English Muffin Bread is an easy quick bread and a heart healthy way to start your morning! Perfect toasted, spread with a bit of butter and a cup of coffee!
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- Spray two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust them with cornmeal.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the whole wheat flour, yeast, salt, and baking soda.
- In a glass, microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, orange juice, zest, and honey. Heat in the microwave until warm to the touch. Add this to the dry mixture and stir. Add the all purpose flour and cranberries and beat until smooth. The dough will be very stiff and sticky.
- Separate the dough into two portions. It helps to have wet hands. Spread each portion in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle cornmeal over each.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Allow the dough to rise for 45 minutes.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes until the bread is golden brown and baked through. Remove from the pans right away and cool on a rack before slicing.
Hungry for more bread recipes?
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #WITHSALTANDWIT. I’d love to see what you are cooking up in your kitchen!0