Chipotle Chicken and Andouille Sausage Sliders are an easy, healthy appetizer or dinner that are super flavorful and full spice!
I made us a cute snack for Monday!
Are you celebrating President’s Day? I feel like it’s only one of those holiday’s that you get excited about if you are a kid, a teacher (days off obvi), or like me, and your work gives you the day off! I am still wondering why we do, but hey, I am not complaining or anything! This will be my last official day off until Memorial Day…ugh. Saving all my days off for my wedding is going to make for a veryyyy long spring.
With our long weekend, my fiancé and I have a list of tasks we would love to cross off. One of those was to finish registering. That was definitely on the top of my lists of ‘exciting things to do once you get engaged’! A wish list that I may or may not have thrown too many blog props on; but hey, its a wish list isn’t it?!
One thing I went a little overboard on was pillows. They’re so FLUFFY! (Please tell me you know that movie…) I don’t think boys will ever understand us, ladies obsessions with pillows; on beds, couches, anywhere really. I can’t tell you the number of times I got the eye roll as I just told Dustin to scan, yet another pillow.
One thing that didn’t get an eye roll on, these sliders. Why is everything so much cuter when it’s small?
Food. I have a tendency to make burgers small for a few reasons. The first, they cook faster. Second, easier for my tiny hands to hold and lastly, it’s easier to convince yourself it’s okay to eat two, or five. While usually we would use slider buns, I was intrigued by Lexi’s cauliflower buns. I had made them the same morning but with no intent of photographing them. They turned out so delicious, I threw the sliders onto the buns and shot away.
My fiancé actually loved the little cauliflower buns which is a bold statement, as he gets very defensive over his bread and buns. But these spicy and tender sliders would be great on grain buns we well! They are based off an amazing burger, the C2 from a local burger bar that we have quite fond of lately. These sliders are a mixer of lean, ground chicken and succulent cajun pork andouille. I love the combination of these two as the chicken provides extra (healthy and lean) volume while the andouille adds loads of flavor and fat that make these burgers so delicious. I added extra spice to ensure the burgers came out bursting with flavor. And what is a burger without cheese? I used jalapeño white cheddar but blue cheese would be killer. And my favorite part…the homemade chipotle aioli. Aioli is just a fancy schmancy word for flavored mayo. To make it figure friendly, I used a base of plain greek yogurt mixed with chipotle in adobo. Whoa, it’s got a punch!
Since today is a national holiday, you deserve to spice things up and these sliders will definitely deliver!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¾ pound cajun andouille sausage
- ½ tsp chile powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground garlic powder
- 1 cup arugula
- 8 mini Cauliflower buns
- 4 oz Jalapeno White Cheddar or Pepperjack cheese
- Chipotle Aioli
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ½ a lime, juiced
- ½ large chipotle in adobo pepper
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Make cauliflower buns per Lexi's instructions, but make into mini slider buns.
- For the Burgers: Add ground chicken, sausage and spices in a large bowl. Gently mix until just combined then form into eight equal patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the patties and cook until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low, top each burger with the cheese and cover. Let sit for 1 minute until the cheese melted.
- Chipolte Aioli: Meanwhile, In a blender, mix the greek yogurt, lime juice, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper until smooth and pepper is fully pureed.
- Turn broiler on low; cut buns in half, and add to broiler until toasted. Keep an eye on them as they toast fast!
- Once buns are toasted, add chipotle aioli to bottom bun, top with burger, arugula and top bun. Serve!
Hungry for more gamy day food?