An irresistible BBQ Beer Dip with sweet caramelized onions, smoky BBQ sauce, beer and gouda will be a game day favorite!
Peanut Butter and Jelly. Cake and Ice Cream. Pancakes and Syrup. M&M’s and sweet potatoes.
No? That’s not one of your favorite food pairings? I mean, it’s not mine either. But beer and football. Yes. What American doesn’t feel like grabbing a cold one when there is football on? Then you through some delicious food in the mix? Um, perfection.
With living in the Midwest and the city with the best barbecue joint, needless to say, BBQ makes a weekly occurrence in our house. If I would let the fiance eat it everyday, he would be probably be somehow figuring out how to add BBQ sauce to his nightly milkshake. Talk about a weird food combo. Ew.
But THIS dip. This dip is far from weird. It’s delicious. And melts in your mouth. Generally, if I am making a a dish for just the two of us, I stick with lower fat, skinnier options. (Because lets be real, I still have a wedding dress to fit into!) But special occasions, such as entertaining friends during a football game, calls for the flavorful, big guns. The ale soaked, caramelized onions add the perfect sweetness to the salty, yet silky smoked Gouda. BBQ sauce is added to the mix in true KC style. Get crazy and add your favorite.
Promise even if the pigskin ball being thrown around isn’t too exciting, THIS dip will have everyone’s attention.
An irresistible dip with sweet caramelized onions, smoky BBQ sauce, beer and gouda is a game day favorite!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 oz beer, preferably a darker ale
- 8 oz cream cheese, (can use low-fat)
- 8 oz Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 c BBQ sauce
- Salt & Pepper
- Fritos or Tortilla Chips, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 and preheat saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add oil to pan to coat evenly. Add onions. Cook on low for about 20 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Add beer to pan and turn up heat to medium-high. Cook until onions soak the beer up, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and Greek yogurt to blender. Add onions and blend together until onions are almost pureed and mixed through.
- In a bowl, combine onion mixture, 6 oz Gouda and BBQ sauce. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add to a greased 8 inch baking dish and top with remaining Gouda. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted on top.
- Serve with Frito's and Tortilla chips!
Are we staying in touch through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest? Thanks for stopping by and subscribe to The Housewife in Training Files to have each post delivered straight to your e-mail box. 0