A coffee house favorite inspired caramel ice cream is simple to make and lighter using caramel macchitao flavored iced coffee, coconut milk and a homemade caramel sauce!
I had an epiphany last week. Summer is coming to a close and I had yet to make ice cream. I mean, what kind of ice cream connoisseur do I consider myself when I haven’t even ventured into making my own? Well those days are finally over. Phew.
We all know my obsession with iced coffee, so it only seemed appropriate to enjoy my favorite flavors in a frozen delight. And oh man, I made a very good call here. When I was a barista at Starbucks in college, every day I would set the tone of my shift with a few shots of espresso to put a lil pep in my step. Some days it was a frappuccino, others a Caramel Macchiato. Did ya know that “macchiato” in French means “marked”? So a caramel macchiato is milk, flavored with vanilla syrup, and then ‘marked’ with espresso and fresh caramel sauce. And not to mention the drink is a two toned beauty that always gets people’s attention.
International Delight luckily sells an insanely delicious Caramel Macchaito Iced Coffee that makes everything morning a treat, saving my wallet and waistline a trip to the coffee shop! The iced coffee makes whipping this ice cream together easy peasy. A simple mix in a blender with coconut milk, a bit of espresso powder, sugar and vanilla extract and your ice cream is ready to go into your ice cream machine. But I couldn’t just stop there because the classic coffee house drink is draped in a sweet, caramel sauce. Taylor, with Food, Faith and Fitness has an out of the park, drool worthy homemade caramel sauce with coconut milk so I didn’t feel the need to recreate the wheel here. In the last few minutes of the ice cream churning, drizzle in the sauce then steal yourself a big spoonful. I won’t tell… Now that is what I call showing Monday up, all hail the caramel!
A coffee house favorite caramel inspired ice cream is simple to make and lighter using caramel macchitao flavored iced coffee, coconut milk and a homemade caramel sauce!
15 minPrep Time
4 minCook Time
19 minTotal Time
- 2 cups International Coffee Caramel Macchiato Iced Coffee
- 1 cup coconut milk, full fat
- 1/2 cup Truvia, or sweetener of choice
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Xanathan Gum **
- 1/2 cup homemade caramel sauce
- Prepare ice cream machine. I use the [Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer Ice Cream Attachment ]
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients for the iced coffee, coconut milk, trivia, instant coffee, vanilla extract and xanthan gum. Stir until combined and heated through.
- Chill the ice cream mixture for 3 hours or until chilled.
- Add the mixture to the ice cream machine and churn based on manufacture's instructions.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce, if not already made.
- If caramel sauce is not room temperature, heat through so it is pourable.
- In last few minutes of ice cream churning, drizzle in caramel sauce.
- Add ice cream to freezable container, and freeze 4 hours or until frozen then devour!
*Cook time includes freezer time.
**Xanthan Gum is a gluten free thickener. You can leave it out, but your ice cream will be a bit more icy.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of International Delight. The opinions and text are all mine.